" ... never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
The Chapel bell, which tolls whenever a bencher dies, has been immortalized in the words of John Donne, the seventeenth century poet and priest who was Preacher of Lincoln's Inn before he became Dean of St Paul's.
The Chapel has had an historic role in the life of the Inn. The present building was consecrated on Ascension Day, 1623, and there are services at 11:30 am on every Sunday in law terms. These usually take the form of a traditional Anglican service of Morning Prayer according to the Book of Common Prayer, but the Eucharist is celebrated several times a term, and there are other special seasonal occasions, including the Warburton Lecture by a distinguished theologian and the Wigs and Mitres Sermon, when the preacher is entitled to wear a wig or a mitre. The Chapel is a popular choice amongst members of the Inn for weddings, baptisms and memorial services. A fine new organ was installed by Kenneth Tickell in 2009 and there is an excellent choir.
On certain Wednesdays in term there is a short Bible Study in the Chapel from 1:05 pm to 1:35 pm and all are welcome - judges, barristers, members of staff and visitors from outside.
As a place of Christian worship within an Inn whose members are of all faiths and none, we want to encourage dialogue and better understanding between those from different religious backgrounds.
The Preacher, the Venerable Sheila Watson, is available for discussion and any kind of help and may be contacted through the Treasury Office.