Complete and return application forms to the Treasury Office by the appropriate closing date (listed below). References MUST also be received by the closing date.
Current application forms & relevant documents:
Download the CPE/GDL Application Form for 2017-18
Download the Confidential Reference Form
The deadline for applications is 4.00pm on 5th May 2017.
The Inn normally offers up to thirty-two Scholarships of up to £8,000 to candidates of the requisite quality who are graduates in subjects other than Law and who intend to take the Common Professional Examination / Graduate Diploma in Law. These Scholarships are named after the following distinguished members of the Inn: Lord Bowen, Lord Haldane and Lord Brougham.
CPE & GDL Award applications are considered on an individual basis; however general criteria are applied by the Scholarship Committee whilst applications are being reviewed. The below criteria should be taken into consideration when submitting your Application Form
- Intellectual strength, ordinarily evidenced in large part by real excellence in performance at University.
- A confident person capable also of being sensitive to other people and to the situation with which he or she is dealing.
- High motivation and drive with evidence of serious commitment to some aspect of work at the Bar through, for example, mooting and mini-pupillages.
- Complete integrity.
- A high level of intelligent articulacy; someone confident, but perceptive, who knows what he or she is talking about.
Each applicant must arrange for two references to be sent either separately or attached to their application. If the latter is chosen, they must be in sealed envelopes.
Acceptable formats are as follows:
- An original, hard copy sent via post to:
Scholarships Coordinator, Treasury Office, Lincoln’s Inn, London, WC2A 3TL
- A signed, scanned copy – preferably in .PDF format, sent by email to
The above Confidential Reference Form may be used or referees may produce their reference on headed paper.
The Inn does not write to referees or chase up references on behalf of the applicant.
Please note: at least one reference MUST be an academic reference i.e. from your university, unless you completed your degree several years ago. In this case two professional references are acceptable.
If you have already obtained your degree, please make sure you append a document from your university properly evidencing the class of your degree to your application (a transcript of course results is also desirable). If you have not yet graduated details of your examination or coursework performance to date should ALWAYS be provided.
Applications must be submitted and received at the Treasury Office by 4.00 PM at the latest on the closing date.
If posting, we would strongly encourage using the "Guaranteed Next Day Delivery" service.
- Common Professional Examination / Graduate Diploma in Law Awards: the closing date is 5 May 2017
Please note that only the Hardwicke Entrance Award can be applied for in unison with other awards.
Candidates must only apply for the appropriate Scholarship, eg only a CPE / GDL Scholarship or a BPTC Award, not both.
- CPE / GDL Awards interviews are usually the first Saturday in July.
- Interviews last approximately 20 minutes.
Award results are announced after interviews. This is normally the end of July for CPE/GDL Awards.
All candidates selected for interview must attend in person.
We do not offer telephone interviews, nor does the Scholarships Committee consider an applicant in absentia.