Marshalling & Mentoring
The Inn provides a Marshalling Scheme and a Mentoring Scheme for Members who are currently on the Bar Training Course.
Marshalling involves a student accompanying a judge at a particular court over a one to three day period. It allows students to gain a real insight into the daily workings of the court, and how judges consider and manage cases. It also deepens understanding of the law. Our judicial members participating in the scheme do so voluntarily and warmly receive marshals, who have the chance to see court proceedings from a whole new perspective. Students are also able to discuss the case with the judge, give opinions and, most importantly, learn from those at the court.
Please note the following:
- Do not apply until you are eligible (have started the Bar Training Course). Marshalling is rarely arranged for Pre-BTC and Post-BTC members of the Inn but they should be aware that priority is given to those still on the Bar Training Course.
- Only submit the application form once, multiple entries will be ignored.
- Please note that placements are not guaranteed, we will do our best to accommodate as many students as possible. A member of the Education Department will be in touch via email if an appropriate placement is found.
- Preference is given to students who have not marshalled with a judge in any capacity previously.
- Although every attempt will always be made to find a placement within your first chosen area of law, it cannot be guaranteed.
Marshalling allocation is done by academic term and the dates chosen must adhere to this time period.
Hilary: Monday 11 January to Wednesday 31 March 2021
Easter: Tuesday 13 April to Friday 28 May 2021
Trinity: Tuesday 8 June to Friday 30 July 2021
Michaelmas: Friday 1 October to Tuesday 21 December 2021
Hilary: Tuesday 11 January to Wednesday 13 April 2022
Easter: Tuesday 26 April to Friday 27 May 2022
Trinity: Tuesday 7 June to Friday 29 July 2022
Michaelmas: Monday 3 October to Wednesday 21 December 2022
Hilary: Wednesday 11 January to Wednesday 5 April 2023
Easter: Tuesday 18 April to Friday 26 May 2023
Trinity: Tuesday 6 June to Monday 31 July 2023
Michaelmas: Monday 2 October to Thursday 21 December 2023
This scheme is open to all student members who are currently studying on the Bar Training Course , but is not compulsory. Students on the scheme are matched with a practising barrister, who will give advice on all aspects of a career at the Bar. It is entirely up to mentors and their students to decide how and when they meet, and there are some opportunities to meet up at Domus Dinners throughout the year. Members of the Bar take part in this scheme voluntarily and are in great demand so please ensure that you intend to be fully involved in the scheme before applying. If you have problems in making contact with your mentor you must let the Education Department know. While only those currently on the Bar Training Course are eligible to apply for the scheme, if you are not commencing the Bar Training Course this year but are still interested please get in touch.
Please note the following:
- Although every attempt will always be made to find a mentor within your first chosen area, it cannot be guaranteed.
- Whenever you change your contact details, please let the Inn and your mentor know immediately.
- Mentoring within this Inn is not monetary and so will not exclude you from being eligible for funded pupillage or scholarship.
- A mentor cannot arrange pupillage for you.
- The allocation of a mentor is not necessary for an introduction to a bencher for call to the Bar.
To apply for the scheme please complete and submit the application form below.