Join us for the fourth and final EDI event of the year- EDI Forum: Equalities Act 10 Years On with keynote speaker Karon Monaghan QC .
Karon is a renowned equality and human rights lawyer and is a visiting professor in the UCL Faculty of Laws.
She has conducted investigations, including: Labour Party Investigation into Sexual Harassment; Chair, Inquiry Panel ‘Formal Investigation into Fitness Standards: Maintaining Standards: Promoting Equality: Professional Regulation within Nursing, Teaching and Social Work and Disabled People’s Access to these Professions’(Disability Rights Commission): 2006-7.
Her publications include: Monaghan on Equality Law; Blackstone’s Guide to the Disability Discrimination Act 1995; Religious Freedom and Equal Treatment: A UK Perspective (2014) Journal of Law and Policy 673; The Equality Bill: A Sheep in Wolf’s Clothing or Something More?  EHRLR 512; Constitutionalizing Equality: New Horizons  EHRLR 20.
Karon was awarded Liberty’s Human Rights Lawyer of the Year Award in 2010. Karon was named Employment Silk of the Year at both the 2017 Chambers & Partners Bar Awards and the 2017 Legal 500 Awards.
She has also acted as:
- Special Adviser to the House of Commons Business, Innovation and Skills Committee Inquiry into ‘Women in the Workplace’(Report: HC 342): 2013.Special Adviser to the House of Commons Treasury Committee Inquiry into ‘Women in the City’ (Report: HC 482): 2010.
- Adviser to the Government’s Women and Equality Unit on the ‘Discrimination Law Review’: 2006-7.
- Member, Equal Treatment Advisory Committee of the Judicial Studies Board: 2003-2010.
- Member of the Reference Group for the Independent review into serious incidents and deaths in custody, undertaken by Dame Elish Angiolini (2017).
- Member, Sir Paul Kennedy’s ‘Working Group on Bar Council Representation’: 2007.
- Member, Lord Neuberger’s ‘Entry to the Bar Working Party’: 2007.
Karon is also a Patron of the charity FORWARD (Foundation for Women’s Health Research and Development).